Often I get asked the question “what should I wear?” Well it’s simple! Wear whatever feels comfortable to you.
(Inspiration pictures are at the bottom!)
Here are some tips for senior portrait sessions:
- You can dress fancy or casual, whichever you choose. Bring both!
- I always suggest wearing bright colors, pastel colors, and fun patterns for spring. It helps you stand out even better.
- Keep in mind the season for colors. Earth tones/muted colors can be dressed up with a bright red or yellow scarf in the fall/winter.
- Stay away from neon.
- Be careful with certain patterns (Thick stripes, chevron, floral, polka dots, and plaid are fine)!
- Layer outfits to change them up with scarves, jackets, coats, sweaters, etc.
- Bringing additional accessories such as hats, shoes, heels, belts, and jewelry to a portrait session can change and enhance your outfit.
- I highly recommend for seniors to bring their cap and gown along. Looking back you’ll want at least one photo in your cap and gown!
- Bring your high school or college letters is very rememberable and unique for pictures.
- If you’re in a sorority or fraternity, bring along letter sweatshirts or shirts, and anything else related!
- Don’t forget to bring a comb or brush, a small mirror, and lip gloss/lipstick to freshen up!
It’s a little different for couples. Here are tips for engagement and anniversary sessions:
- I suggest somewhat matching colors in different shades. This means if he’s wearing a dark navy blue shirt, she could wear a light or pastel mint/blue top or dress.
- Remember the color wheel in elementary school. This means if he’s wear a red shirt, she could wear a floral top with pink and red in it.
- Sometimes opposite colors go together too. If he’s wearing a blue button down top and jeans, she could wear a pink dress.
- But nothing “too matchy”!
- Patterns can be annoying to the eye in photos (thin stripes, crazy patterns, etc.) so bring a few choices. Usually floral, thick stripes, plaid/checkered, thick stripes, is good though.
- Let’s face it…the lady always needs to stand out more. So let her wear a brighter color than her man!
- Colorful outfits stand out better for pictures. So grey or brown isn’t the best choice.
- Bring both casual and dressed up outfits. Even multiples to choose from.
- For guys, a button down short or long sleeve shirt is always handsome looking.
- I highly recommend to bring props to engagement sessions such as save-the-date signs, boards, blankets, or an umbrella (if it’s a cloudy day), or anything else.
- For anniversaries, bring anything you would like whether it be jewelry, props, blankets, etc.
- And I always suggest bringing accessories!
Below are some outfit inspiration & ideas in case you aren’t sure. This doesn’t mean you have to go buy the outfit, but if you have similar clothes in your closet you can plan better for your session! If you have questions about an outfit, feel free to ask.
Senior Portrait Spring Casual
Senior Portrait Spring Dressed Up
Senior Portrait Fall Casual
Senior Portrait Fall Dressed Up
Engagement/Anniversary Spring Casual
Engagement/Anniversary Spring Dressed Up
Engagement/Anniversary Fall Casual & Dressed Up